Monday, February 11, 2013

Slingin' Sammy Baugh

At a recent card show ( my first in almost 20 years), I saw this 1949 beauty of TCU legend Sammy Baugh! I never knew these old Bowmans existed for football.  I love the printing on the 1949 Bowman cards. 

At TCU, he led the Horned Frogs to two Bowl Game victories: 1936 Sugar Bowl and the inaugural Cotton Bowl.  He was drafted in the first round (6th overall).  That one year contract made him the highest paid player on the team. In his rookie season, he led the Redskins to a win in the NFL Championship game.  In the NFL, not only was he the quarterback, he was an awesome defensive back, and maybe one of the best punters of all time. 

That example above is pristine and has exquisite color with no overprinting. I couldn't afford that one, so I found a more affordable card to buy - Texas Bobbie Layne (also a SWC legend). 


A recent post on Uni Watch, came up with a new photo of Sammy Baugh I had never seen nor had any idea about. First off, what a gorgeous photo - make sure you enlarge it and enjoy the details.  Second - I confess I don't think I knew he also played baseball.  As it turns out, he played baseball at TCU as well - AND THAT IS ACTUALLY WHERE HE GOT THE NICKNAME SLINGIN' SAMMY BAUGH! Not from football... Holy crap! 

Turns out after his rookie year in the NFL, he wasn't convinced football was his best sport.  He signed a contract with the St. Louis Cardinals.  Unhappy with his little playing time in the minors (because he was converted to a shortstop and played behind Marty Marion), he went back to the NFL.

I also didn't know he coached the Houston Oilers in 1964...

The two sport "slinger" made the forward pass and integral part of the NFL.

Lots of good stats are here.

No comments: